Wednesday, June 19, 2013

My Anthem

It's funny how a song can hold a memory, transporting you back to a moment in your life the instant you here the instruments and the lyrics start.  Just like when I hear Alabama's 'Mountain Music', I am immediately transported back to being a little girl bundled up in my Dad's pickup truck driving around Upstate NY plowing snowy driveways in the long cold winter. 

3 years ago, we entered the world of Autism.  On June 22, 2010 our son, Bradley, was diagnosed with Autism at 28 months old.  That was the first time we heard the words that our child has Autism, little did we know how many more times we were going to hear them.  After we left the final evaluation, we got in the car and talked for a while, then the radio was turned on and Tom Petty's 'I Won't Back Down' rocked through the speakers.  Every time I hear this song, I am transported back to that car ride where the emotions were raw...the fear, the grief, the confusion, how I felt physically ill...all is we knew was that our son had Autism and he needed help. 

Well I won't back down, no I won't back down
You could stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won't back down

We've stood at the gates of hell many days since then.  We've worked hard, we've had broken hearts and cried many tears.  We've picked up the pieces, started again and had so much success.  We will stand at those gates everyday and hold our children's hands and do anything to help them.  They will never stand alone.  We will always stand together.

Gonna stand my ground, won't be turned around
And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down
Gonna stand my ground and I won't back down

I will continue to spread Autism Awareness so the world is a more accepting place for them.  And, helping others because the fear I felt in that car ride was real, it was powerful and it permeated me.  Our lives may be different and hard but nobody is gonna drag us down. 
 
Hey baby, there ain't no easy way out
Hey I will stand my ground
And I won't back down
 
The biggest truth is that there is no easy way.  Autism is a challenge.  Every.  Single.  Day.  Since that day, this song has become my anthem. This song was a sign that came when I needed it the most with lyrics that could inspire me for years.  When we are having a bad day or I need a pick me up, I listen to this.  I'm regenerated because I can remember how I felt that day and how far we've come.   Because, we won't back down. 

3 comments:

  1. Kelly Clarkson's "If No One Will Listen" has been ours for a while now. I totally get that power song that makes you move forward. Love every minute of this! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one, too. Blondie's "Dreaming" especially regarding my daughter. I blogged about it as well. I'm not sure we have a separate anthem for my son, maybe we can use yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You can use ours!! I want to check out your blog??

      Delete